November 4, 2012

The Power of Thoughts in Creating Happiness

"Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind" - Romans 12:2

"Do not underestimate the power of thoughts,
Just as the water has the power to shift and mold earth's landscapes,
Your thoughts have the power to shift and mold the landscape of your life" - Chuck Danes


What do you usually think whenever you have problems, trials or burdens?
Are your thoughts helping you to solve them? Or your thoughts causing you to become more depressed and miserable?

Your feelings depend on your thoughts - even the feeling of HAPPINESS.
Your feelings and actions towards a circumstance depends on how you perceive the situation.

Let me tell you a story about my friend named Riza...



When Riza entered the corporate world after college, she was culture shocked. she had to face different kinds of people at work, different age with different personalities. Office politics and crab mentality were so common in her workplace. Whenever a colleague was climbing up to the corporate ladder, someone was almost dying to pull him down (CRAB MENTALITY). Because of this environment, she was so demotivated to perform and give her best since she was already expecting that it wouldn't be worth it since she was sure that somebody might actually pull her down. She became unhappy with her work.

Good thing I invited her at The Feast, the weekly Catholic event at PICC. The talk back then was about changing thoughts in transforming our lives. After that day, she made a decision to try her best to change her thoughts about work and her workplace. According to her, it was not easy, but everyday she was trying her best. When she woke up in the morning, she would think " I'll do my best to accomplish my job. I'll do this no matter what I hear my colleagues is saying about me. I will not allow other people to spoil my day and destroy my motivation at work."

According to her, it was very difficult. There were times when she was at his happiest moment working when she heard her colleagues gossiping about her, and when her officemates or even managers questioning her ability to perform her job.

But what did she do?

She made a decision to keep motivated and focused at her work. Yes, she would feel bad and irritated (it's normal since we are all humans), but she would not let this feeling stay  for about 10 minutes. She would divert her attention to positive thoughts.

You might wonder, positive thoughts like what?

In gossiping about her:

 "I will not mind what my colleagues would say about me, I'm here to work to fullfill my purpose in my company, to earn money to support my family, and be able to serve God"

In questioning her ability:

" I will take it as an opportunity to work even better. I might not be good at this job at this moment, but this is just temporary. I will work smarter everyday until I reach the expectations of my managers."

In her relationships with people in the workplace:

"Whatever I hear them say about me and whatever they do bad against me, I will continue to do good to them and I will still help them whenever they need me. I believe I'm here not just to work, but to inspire my other colleagues to do what is right. I will start the change in myself."

Do you know what happened to Riza? She was awarded as the best employee in her company after a year, and was promoted as a Manager a year after that.

Maybe some of you can relate to Riza's story.
It's time to reflect, how do you deal with the same situation? - IT'S ALWAYS A DECISION.

Your thoughts have powers. It can impact your body, your life, the people around you, your world. Your thoughts can determine the quality of your experience.

The more negative thoughts you keep in your mind, the more you feel miserable, the more you feel discontented, the more you feel depressed.

The more positive thoughts you keep in your mind, the more you feel grateful, the more you feel blessed, the more you feel HAPPY AND FULFILLED.

So you really want to be happy?
Then make up your mind to be happy.

Live a happy life,

Maya




No comments:

Post a Comment